Accessing your medical records

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a legal right to apply for access to health information held about you. This includes your NHS or private health records held by a GP, optician or dentist, or by a hospital.

A health record contains information about your mental and physical health recorded by a healthcare professional as part of your care.

If you want to see your health records, you need to make a formal application. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

For more information about how to make a SAR please click here to visit the NHS website.